CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT - SILVER CITY
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2019
Be like the birds and claim your territory. Organizers John Gorey and Jackie Blurton say that route leaders and spotters did an excellent job last year and hope those participants will call and sign up again for their route. And, we encourage people who have not participated in the Bird Count before, even beginning birders, to join in. Each route needs a driver and two or three spotters. It’s a great way to learn the area and the birds. The count covers a 15-mile diameter circle centered on Silver City’s Scott Park golf course. All levels of birding expertise, spotters and drivers are welcome. We also need Feeder Counters who report their observations of their own feeders on that day.
Pot-Luck Count Report Dinner! Following the count is our pot-luck dinner: 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Doors open at 4:00. Location: 2045 Memory Lane, the last metal building on the right before the entrance to Memory Lane Cemetery.
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT - GILA RIVER
SATURDAY, DECEMBER TBA, 2019
This historic Christmas Bird Count, focuses on all of the birds within a 7.5 mile radius circle approximately centered in the town of Riverside, NM. This count covers several portions of the Gila River. The private land portions require a permit, so potential participants need to contact Roland Shook several days prior to the count. 575-590-4731.
THE GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT
FEBRUARY 14-17, 2020
SWNMA BIG DAY COUNT
MAY TBA, 2020
To celebrate May 4 Global Big Day and the return of migratory birds to their breeding grounds, take part in SWNMA Big Day! Same principles as a Big Day, individuals and teams bird + count as many bird species as they can. An informal event, choose your preferred 24-hour period anytime on the day of the count. Results and interesting sightings will be shared at a potluck following the count.
The rules are simple:
- Bird only within Grant County.
- Cannot go on private property unless it is a friend’s and permission is granted. For example, the ranches in the Gila are off limits as is the Glenn Ranch off of Ridge Road. You can look from the edges but do not access the properties.
- The Silver City Golf Course is off limits, for potential of many groups/individuals asking for access. Birding from outside along edges, looking in, is permitted.
- Send your final species #, whether birding as a team or individual, and any interesting/fun sightings or stories to Megan: email@example.com
- If participating in Global Big Day, please join the thousands of birders submitting their sightings on eBird: https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-4-may-2019
NOVEMBER 10 through APRIL 5, 2019
CRANE FESTIVAL at BOSQUE DEL APACHE
November 20-23, 2019
- American Bird Conservancy
- Audubon Bird Guide App
- Audubon Guide to Bird ID
- Audubon New Mexico
- Audubon en Español
- NatureInstruct Dendroica
- Xeno-Canto global birdsong
- American Birding Association
- Gila National Forest
- Cornell FeederWatch
- TripBuzz.com Birdwatching Guide
- HomeAdvisor.com Birdwatching Guide
- Guide to Birding From Our Window
eBird Pro Tip: Bird Counting 101
Have trouble counting birds, especially large numbers? We all do. Find out everything you need to learn how to count with confidence - Bird Counting 101
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT
→ Read the Report
1997 - 2015 SILVER CITY
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT