CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT RESULTS - SILVER CITY
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2019
My grateful thanks to all of you for participating in this important annual event. I hope you will join us again next year. Jackie Blurton
35 Route Counters (11 routes); 20 Feeder Counters (16 counts)
- Effort: Route Hours: 48.35; People Hours: 147.5; Miles Driven: 223.97; Miles Walked: 18.56; Total miles walked: 49.97.
- Feeder counts Hours: 53; Total people Hours: 67.5. Combined feeder and route hrs: 101.35 Combined people hrs: 215.
- Count Information: Total species: 89; Total # of individual birds: 5266; Routes: 3818; Feeders: 1448.
- 10 Most abundant: Dark-eyed Junco 760; Western Bluebird 511; Gambel’s Quail 457; House Finch 373; Raven sp. 314; House Sparrow 240; White-crowned Sparrow 214; Brewer’s Blackbird 202; White-winged Dove 194; Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jay 123.
- Rare / Unusual Birds <10% of Counts: Bendire’s Thrasher- NEW! Clay-colored Sparrow 2nd Record; Sandhill Crane 3rd Record; Orange-crowned Warbler 4th Record; Mexican Duck 5th Record; Hooded Merganser 5th Record; Broad-tailed Hummingbird 5th Record; Red Crossbill 5th Record; Band-tailed Pigeon 6th Record.
- New High Counts: Bendire’s Thrasher 2; Juniper Titmouse 54; Phainopepla 68; Hairy Woodpecker 16.
- Birds typically seen but not this year
Killdeer seen on 50 of 59 counts; Brewer’s Sparrow seen on 47 of 59 counts; Horned Lark seen on 43 of 59 counts; Great-horned Owl seen on 38 of 59 counts; Vesper Sparrow seen on 36 of 59 counts; Ring-necked Duck seen on 31 of 59 counts; Scaled Quail seen on 30 of 59 counts. John Gorey, Compiler
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT - GILA RIVER
NO SCHEDULED COUNTS
This historic Christmas Bird Count, focuses on all of the birds within a 7.5 mile radius circle approximately centered in the town of Riverside, NM. This count covers several portions of the Gila River. The private land portions require a permit, so potential participants need permission.
THE GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT
FEBRUARY 14-17, 2020
SWNMA BIG DAY COUNT
MAY TBA, 2020
To celebrate May 4 Global Big Day and the return of migratory birds to their breeding grounds, take part in SWNMA Big Day! Same principles as a Big Day, individuals and teams bird + count as many bird species as they can. An informal event, choose your preferred 24-hour period anytime on the day of the count. Results and interesting sightings will be shared at a potluck following the count.
The rules are simple:
- Bird only within Grant County.
- Cannot go on private property unless it is a friend’s and permission is granted. For example, the ranches in the Gila are off limits as is the Glenn Ranch off of Ridge Road. You can look from the edges but do not access the properties.
- The Silver City Golf Course is off limits, for potential of many groups/individuals asking for access. Birding from outside along edges, looking in, is permitted.
- Send your final species #, whether birding as a team or individual, and any interesting/fun sightings or stories to Megan: email@example.com
- If participating in Global Big Day, please join the thousands of birders submitting their sightings on eBird: https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-4-may-2019
NOVEMBER 9 — APRIL 3, 2020
CRANE FESTIVAL at BOSQUE DEL APACHE
November 18-21, 2020
- American Bird Conservancy
- Audubon Bird Guide App
- Audubon Guide to Bird ID
- Audubon New Mexico
- Audubon en Español
- NatureInstruct Dendroica
- Xeno-Canto global birdsong
- American Birding Association
- Gila National Forest
- Cornell FeederWatch
- TripBuzz.com Birdwatching Guide
- HomeAdvisor.com Birdwatching Guide
- Guide to Birding From Our Window
eBird Pro Tip: Bird Counting 101
Have trouble counting birds, especially large numbers? We all do. Find out everything you need to learn how to count with confidence - Bird Counting 101
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT
→ Read the Report
1997 - 2015 SILVER CITY
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT